MARIO will use a 36 month work program and 11 work packages controlled by 5 project milestones, in order to integrate the diverse sectors, skills, and capabilities of the consortium in a logical evolution of the work packages that leads to the successful achievement of the project Scientific and Technical objectives.
At the macro‐level, the approach and methodology to develop the work program was:
- To begin with users, set expectations and listen to their and stakeholder requirements in order to establish a common baseline for the project. In addition, to ensure a common baseline and assessment methodology is constructed for the technical activities (WP1).
- To adapt immediately the Kompai platform to make it available for project development and interaction with the pilots (WP2).
- To have running in parallel, R&D efforts across the major research themes and focus areas. These are reflected in WP3, WP4, WP5 and WP6 respectively.
- To have integration and testing activities (WP7) that are iterative, overlapping with the R&D component (WP3‐WP6) so as to maximise time available for validation and to overlap also with the pilots. This will enable the opportunity to integrate lessons learned from the field.
- To run extensive and long duration pilot/validation activities with deliberate pilot planning, assessment and management. Also, to maximise each pilot’s utility and cross level best practices between them (WP8).
- To have unique work packages for Exploitation (WP9) and Communication & Dissemination (WP10) so as to allocate appropriate resources and leadership for each of them.
- To ensure a division of responsibility, best‐fit roles and leadership, and posturing for post project impact through the assignment of WP leader organisations (WP11).